Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee, whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
What’s the role?
Etsy is hiring a Senior Software Engineer II to join the Content Moderation Experience team to work on improving the quality of items found by buyers on the Etsy marketplace. As a Senior Software Engineer II, you will work on the development of Content Moderation Experience’s suppression systems and build tooling to empower support agents to enforce Etsy policies.
Do you enjoy working across multiple areas in a codebase? Are you comfortable unblocking yourself by collaborating with teams outside of your domain? Do you have a passion for systems thinking and the skills to identifying tradeoffs between solutions? If so, this could be a perfect match.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Engineering Manager, Content Moderation, and the base salary range will be $171,000 to $201,000 per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the United States. You will have the option to work office-based, flex or remotely. Candidates living within commutable distance of the Etsy Brooklyn Hub, or within the San Francisco area, may be the first to be considered. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our Flex and Office-based work modes and workplace safety policies here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
The Content Moderation Experience team works on Etsy’s various platforms for suppressing content that should not appear on the site. We integrate with Search, Ads, Recommendations, and Marketing to ensure buyer experiences aren’t diminished by unexpected and violative content.
We build and maintain a suite of tools designed to support moderation on Etsy, touching areas such as content filtering, listing management, and advanced image analysis. Our needs are always evolving to match the changing landscape of content on Etsy, and we value collaboration immensely. We work closely with product teams, operations experts, and our ML partners to help execute our content moderation strategy.
We value autonomy, understanding, and optimism in our work and strive to foster an environment where individuals are supported, respected, and empowered to take ownership and collaborate effectively.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Hands-on coding and full-stack development using of critical components and features of content moderation
- Participate in code and design reviews and maintain high standards of code quality.
- Partner with operations specialists and engineers from other teams to move our goals forward.
- Collaborate with product engineering teams to integrate our moderation tools into their workflows and run A/B experiments.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- A growth mindset — you love feedback and find joy in continuous learning and self-improvement.
- A track record of writing high quality production code, demonstrating strong software engineering and coding skills.
- Experience working on large scale distributed systems.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience collaborating with a remote team.
- Background and hands-on experience with Cloud technologies (Google Cloud or AWS) is a plus.
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you’d like. As we hope you’ve seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you’ll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We’re open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://remotive.com/remote-jobs/software-dev/senior-software-engineer-ii-1784779→